Who we are
About The People’s Lobby
The People’s Lobby’s plans for 2013 include:
- Aggressively fighting for corporate tax transparency and closing corporate tax loopholes in Illinois. Two-thirds of Illinois corporations pay NO taxes and enjoy many receive subsidies, even as they cut jobs and as the Illinois General Assembly cuts education and health care for its people. Illinois’ capitol, Springfield, is crawling with corporate lobbyists, but who is lobbying for the people ? …….That would be The People’s Lobby!
- FIghting the takeover of public education by private for-profit corporations in Indiana. Indiana puts more public resources into vouchers than any state in the nation and with less accountability. Private for-profit schools can hire teachers without teaching certificates and do not have to comply with accountability reporting requirements of public schools. The People’s Lobby is fighting to enforce disclosure for privately operated schools and to limit the amount of money they can siphon off of direct service to students.
- Lobbying in Washington D.C.to raise taxes on corporations and the top 2% through increasing capital gains taxes, implementing the Robin Hood tax, imposing a carbon tax and closing corporate tax loopholes. There is no need for cuts to the economic safety net and necessary public goods when there are literally trillions of dollars available through these fair and necessary sources of revenue.
- Electing progressive lawmakers who share our values and, more importantly, un-electing legislators and public officials who choose corporate profits over workers, customers, communities and the environment. For instance, despite the support of three-fourths of Illinoisans, several legislators chose to protect corporations from having to report whether they pay taxes in Illinois. These people need to lose their seats. The People’s Lobby has the capacity to put thousands of hours of door knocking and phone calling to accomplish this goal.
- Building up an electoral program that recruits and trains hundreds of campaign volunteers to create the most powerful progressive campaign apparatus in Illinois and Indiana. We will also identify and train progressives who want to run for office, so they can win and truly and unapologetically govern AS PROGRESSIVES.
- The People’s Lobby serves as a the lobby for everyday Americans to have a voice and a place at the table. Every day, decisions are made that affect our lives, our families, our jobs and our communities. These decisions are often made by the rich and powerful, especially corporate interests who care only about their profits. We invite you to build the power of we the people by joining us in the People’s Lobby.